‘Oxford Based SEO Consultant’, ‘Oxford SEO’ and ‘Oxford Freelance SEO’ are a few keyword phrases that my colleague Daniel Bianchini and I have been vying to outrank each other for on the SERPs. The challenge has given us both a bit of banter and also helped me stretch and be creative in flexing my SEO muscle. Although it must be noted that this website wasn’t set up for the sole purpose of ranking for those keyword terms, the exercise has helped me explore and push the boundaries of what can be achieved from an SEO perspective.
Dan published a post announcing the official commencement of the competition on his blog and he also provided some data and stats about his site’s current rankings. Below were his benchmarked rankings as of 11th of March 2012.
- oxfordshire seo consultant – Google UK = 1
- oxfordshire based seo – Google UK = 2
- oxford based seo – Google UK = 3
- freelance seo oxford – Google UK = 4
- oxford freelance seo – Google UK = 4
- seo consultant in oxford – Google UK = 4
- seo consultant oxford – Google UK = 5
- oxford seo consultant – Google UK = 5
- oxford seo – Google UK = 8
The above rankings are indeed quite impressive; he has had the benefit of an older domain (no, I am not giving excuses). But the fact that my website’s just 3 months old is an undisputed handicap for ranking well for ‘non-branded’ keyword terms. Having said that, I’m fairly confident that the search engines are much more clever in not only indexing but also making sense of newer website content in order to rank them.
So, from not ranking for any of the above terms on the 11th of March 2012, where does my website stand at the minute? The rankings are as follows:
- oxfordshire seo consultant – Google UK = 23
- oxfordshire based seo – Google UK = 8
- oxford based seo – Google UK = 8
- freelance seo oxford – Google UK = 9
- oxford freelance seo – Google UK = 8
- seo consultant in oxford – Google UK = 19
- seo consultant oxford – Google UK = 28
- oxford seo consultant – Google UK = 19
- oxford seo – Google UK = 16
Looking at the above rankings, I am quite pleased with my efforts. Not too bad considering I wasn’t ranking for any of the above terms some 3 weeks ago. I will obviously be pushing for higher rankings in the coming days and weeks and I will keep you posted on the developments. In the meantime, if you’re an Oxford SEO and are quite keen on trying your hand at competing for these keyword terms do give either myself or Dan a shout. More the merrier